Meditation – is it the missing part of weight loss?
So we all know that to lose that unwanted body fat, you need to incorporate exercise and a healthy diet into your lifestyle…
But, did you ever think that meditation may help with this too?
A lot of us visualise meditation as someone sitting on the floor cross legged, eyes closed, with their hands on their knees, and you just can’t imagine yourself doing that in the morning before school run or work.
But it really doesn’t have to be like this.
Meditation has been part of my life for over 4 years. It started for me when I had a hypnobirth with my 2nd son, Jax, and I realised the powerful, positive benefits meditation has on my life.
Since then, I have continued to incorporate this into my day, in different ways…
Do you feeling stressed?
Are you unable to focus or get tasks done?
Does your head feel like a whirlwind and you just need some calm in your life?
Are you struggling to sleep?
Do you suffer with anxiety?
If the answer is YES to any of these questions then keep reading 😁
So meditation, what actually is it?
Meditation is a process of training your mind to focusing inward rather than being distracted by the hustle and bustle around us.
Its not as crazy as it sounds and it can be done by following these simple steps:
- Sit up straight or lie down – whatever you feel most comfortable
- Relax your muscles
- Close your eyes if you wish (I do, and I find this helps with any distractions)
- Breathe in deeply, and exhale slowly, focusing your mind on your breathing.
- If the mind wonders, don’t worry, just try let the body do its thing and continue breathing.
This is simply it. Your body should feel calm, relaxed and focused when you finish. There is no right or wrong amount of time to spend meditating. Just go with your bodies flow.
I do this in the evening for around 10-15 minutes, but I use it during the day too as I need.
Mike and I have started using this technique when we are working on a task and get ‘mind blank’ or struggle to get it completed, the technique is called ‘RELEASE TENSION, SET INTENTION’. We learned the technique from a book we both read called High Performance Habits
The process is simply this:
- Set your timer for 2 minutes
- Close your eyes and repeat ‘RELEASE TENSION, SET INTENTION’ for the 2 minutes.
You are literally releasing the tension you are feeling, and setting the intention to focus your mind on the task ahead. IT WORKS!!!
This can be done for anything in every day life so please give this a try!
So, how can meditation help with fat loss?
Add meditation into your day will help you become more focused, less stressed and more mindful of your actions;
- Instead of hitting the 3pm wall and heading straight to the office biscuit tin, you’ll feel more able to resist the temptation and eat your healthy snack.
- When you’re faced with a stressful day at home or at work you will feel far calmer and in control of your feelings, this is especially helpful if you are an ’emotional eater’.
Meditation can also help you sleep better, in turn, reducing your bodies cortisol levels (our stress hormone and a big factor in hindering weight loss) thus helping you lose weight.
If you would like to use a guided Meditation (- this is something I use still now), then download the Headspace App onto your phone. It has meditations for many issues ranging from stress, anxiety, work, sleep and there is even meditations for the kids too – my boys love these and they are asleep within minutes 😉
Give it a try and let us know if it helps.
Carly & Mike