Lose the scales to lose weight!
- Did you weigh yourself this morning?
- Was you happy with the number you saw? or did you hope for better?
- Was you jumping for joy or did you feel unreasonably depressed?
We’ve all been there, so you’re not alone.
Did you know there are many factors, especially for us women that can affect the number on the scales:
- Its that ‘time of the month’ – this can have a huge affect on our weight, and we can see an increase of 2-5lbs 😱
- You ate highly processed foods the day before – This will cause you to hold onto alot of water due to the higher sodium content in those foods!
- You ate more carbs yesterday – If had a day where you was nailing alot of carbs, this can have an affect on your scale weight as your body will be holding onto the stored carbs (glycogen) as well as water within your muscles.
- You weighed yourself on a different set of scales – Try to always use the same set of scales as each set will be calibrated differently.
- You weighed yourself at a different time of day – This will have a massive affect on your weight. Ensure you weigh at the same time each day, preferrably first thing in the morning before breakfast.
- Your super stressed right now – Be it at work, relationship/family life, or that you are worried about things, your cortisol levels will be higher and your body will hold onto water.
- You just generally ate/drank more the day before – This can simply be that you drank way more water yesterday – your stomach is full, therefore this will affect the scales and they can fluctuate a few lbs.
So, if your someone who is filled with dread every time the step on the scales, understand that there are many reasons it could be inaccurate.
There are many other ways to track your progress:
- Photos – A great way to track progress is by simply taking progress photos. This can be done weekly, fortnightly or monthly. You will visually be able to see, and feel the positive changes you are making.
And surely thats what its about ay – to feel good in and out of our clothes 😝
- Clothes fitting – Are you clothes getting loser? Then bonus! Whatever your doing is working. Stick with it 👊
- Measurements – Grab a tap measure and start taking measurements. You can monitor your hips, thighs, waist, bust and arms. Some areas shrink quicker than others, and a lot of us are obsessed with our mid section – but if you measure you will see the other parts could be getting smaller without you realising.
- Increased strength/ fitness – Do you feel like your getting stronger? Are you seeing improvements in your fitness – not getting as out of breath as much, feeling more mobile? These are all positive indicators that you are IMPROVING and PROGRESSING.
Once you start to feel these factors, you will feel awesome!
So ditch those scales, and focus your efforts on more important factors than that meaningless number on the scales 😁
Carly & Mike
P.S If you have been tracking and you aren’t seeing the improvements you would like and would like some help, then drop us a message email@example.com ☺️