How to stay fit and healthy as a busy parent.
Finding the time to stay fit and healthy when you’re a busy parent can be difficult as demands from the children can make it almost impossible. We have put together our top tips to help busy parents lead a healthy, active lifestyle around the family.
- Book set days and times that you will exercise every week. If you have an appointment you will be more likely to adhere to your plan.
- If you struggle for time remember you don’t have to join a gym to exercise. Your living room, garden or local park are great places to train. Walking and taking the stairs when possible can be great calorie burners also.
- If you are time restricted, use full body exercises which will work more muscle groups in a shorter amount of time, try this full body home workout routine by clicking here.
- Include your children while you workout, it’s a great way of keeping your children active too!
- Surround yourself with a network of parents and like-minded individuals. Having that support around you will make your fitness journey even more motivating.
- When it comes to nutrition, preparation is key. Take some time out once/twice a week to bulk cook some healthy meals. Prepping your lunches and dinners is a massive time saver during the week. Make use of the freezer too, for those times you get stuck with little food in the fridge. Having pre made healthy meals in the freezer can get you out of trouble and stop the excuse to grab a take away.
- Try not to pick at your children’s meals as these extra calories can add up very quickly and hinder your goals. Have your own healthy snacks readily available.
- Keep a food diary. Write down everything you eat and drink. This will help you track your calories or food intake. It’s useful to look back at what you are really eating across the week, especially if you are picking at the kids meals.
- Adherence is key! Find a workout plan that is fun and a nutrition plan that you can see yourself doing in a years time. This way training and a your ‘diet’ will soon just become part of your lifestyle.
We hope you can implement these tips into your lifestyle and enjoy your fitness journey as a busy parent.
If you would like to join our community of busy, hard working people who exercise at home (many of whom are parents like yourself) then click here to start today.
Mike and Carly